Other Ways You Can Help
There are many ways you can help save and enhance lives and reduce the number of deaths on the waitlist.
- Register to be an organ, eye and tissue donor! By making the choice to be a donor after your death, you are choosing to save and enhance the lives of others. Putting your name on the registry does not mean that you have compromised your opportunity to receive life-saving treatments from doctors and nurses should you need them. Your life is always prioritized first.
- Share your choice with your family! Although registering to be a donor is legal authorization for organ donation upon your death, we still encourage you to share that choice with your family so they can confidently honor your decision.
- Learn and share the facts!
- One donor can save 8 lives and enhance the lives of at least 50 more
- Everyone has the potential to be a donor: age and health do not prevent people from being donors
- All major religions in the United States support organ and tissue donation and agree it is a generous act of caring
- There is no cost to you or your family to be a donor – all medical expenses related to the donation are covered by the organ procurement organization
- Everyone in need of a transplant is “created equally.” Wealth or celebrity status does not move your name to the top of the waitlist more quickly. Organs are place by geographic location, blood type, tissue type, how long recipients have been waiting, and how sick a patient is.
- You will be treated with respect, dignity and care as an organ donor
- Your family will be supported throughout the process and for several months or years to follow
- There is no documented evidence of a “black market” for organs in the United States. It is illegal to sell organs in this country.
- Contribute and Volunteer! Donate Life Northwest is the non-profit, public outreach program designated in the state of Oregon to promote donation education and increase donor registrations. They are always excited to have more volunteers to their team. Discover all the opportunities to help out or register to be a donor!
There is no cost to the donor or their family for organ or tissue donation.